Followers

Monday 6 January 2014

Waiting for a Weather Window - part 1

Well, has come to our attention that some of you living vicariously through us are not satisfied with the frequency of our posts. For this we apologize. The reality is that we are not the size of the Queen Mary so we have to wait for favourable conditions which include East to South-east winds in the 10 - 15 knot range and waves 2 - 3 metres. Which translates into 15 - 20 knots and 4 - 6 metres when you are out there, not including squalls and gusts. As a result of this waiting you get a sense that you haven't really done anything that is "blog worthy" when in fact each day has been rather fulfilling. So we will try to keep you in mind and post more often.

One incident that comes to mind occurred shortly after Christmas. The horrific storm of Christmas Eve left much of St. Lucia without potable water. There is still limited supply at the marina and we are unable to replenish at this time. 

What are the significance of these pictures you ask? 

Well the first is the outside of the dumpster compound and the second shows the waste oil disposal on the left and the square in the middle ground Is a water faucet. Still curious?

I did an oil and filter change on the engine including the two fuel filters and was on my way to dispose of the waste when I noticed someone running water from the tap. Which made me think "great, the water is on". Then I noticed the person, who had their back to me, was a woman who was wearing a blue sarong and that she was washing herself vigorously in the "private" areas. What to do? As you can see the the proximity of my destination to the tap! Well, I decided to walk around the far side of the dumpster, which was full to overflowing by the way, and using my brightest "good morning" to announce my presence I proceeded to dump my oil and throw the empty containers into the dumpster. As I was about to leave she asked me where I was from, she's still washing but not so vigorously. I told her Canada and as I was turning she said something else. Not wanting to be rude I turned and asked her to repeat herself. (With their accents it's not easy to catch what they are saying the first time.) She said " Would you like to romance me?" In typical Canadian fashion I replied, "No, no thanks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment